Joe Fresh Beauty was Loblaw Companies’ first foray into private label cosmetics, and when I was chosen to solely lead this initiative, I didn’t know whether to jump for joy or shake in my boots – I had no prior experience in cosmetic development and had just over one year to bring this very complex and high-profile program to market!
How would Joe Fresh, a brand recently established in the apparel market, translate into a cosmetic one? What was the product strategy? What was the retail strategy? What costs and margins did I need to achieve? How would we promote? Would we promote? What was our go-to-market plan? How would I manage the expectations of the business, gain and maintain stakeholder alignment, and ensure consistency of brand standards across multiple vendors throughout the development process … oh yes, AND launch the program in time for spring?
The questions were endless and the answers were unknown. We were embarking on a brand new journey and I was responsible for finding the solutions and leading the way.
- Joe Fresh Beauty debuted in March 2009 (on time!), gracing the shelves of over 260 Loblaw stores nationwide
- By pioneering Loblaws’ first turn-key development model, I created a process that increased speed-to-market and enabled a comprehensive launch within exceptionally tight and unprecedented timelines
- Consisting of 200 cosmetic products, each sku was on time and in-store for the launch date
- Identified key trends/must-have items for the line-up, 3 were executed and ranked in the top 10 sales (Y1)
- Within 6 months of the launch, sales were exceeding forecasts and on-track to double by year end